FAQs tagged with “Tobacco Surcharge”
- I pay more for my plan because I’m a smoker. If I stop smoking after I sign up, will my rates go down?
- I smoke cigarettes and I buy my own health insurance. Can I be charged more because I smoke?
- I use e-cigarettes (i.e., vape). Is that considered tobacco use and do I have to report that I use tobacco when I sign up for coverage?
- I work for a small business and I smoke. Will my company be charged more because of me?
- If I qualify for premium tax credits and I smoke, will those tax credits cover the tobacco surcharge on my premium?
- My employer offers a smoking cessation program for smokers like me but I didn’t join it when I had the opportunity earlier this year, and now I have to pay more for my premiums. Can I join the program later and get my premiums decreased?
- What does it mean to “use tobacco?” I’m pretty sure my teenager has smoked at least a couple of times. Do I have to pay a higher rate because of her?
- What happens if I don’t disclose to an insurance company that I use tobacco?
- What happens if I take up smoking after I bought the policy?