My child goes to college in another state but we want him on our family plan in the health insurance Marketplace. Can we do that?

Individuals with no coverage | Navigating Health Insurance Marketplace Options |

Yes. If your child is a member of your tax household, they can join your family plan on the health insurance Marketplace, even if they live out of state. However, your child may need to return home in order to access care within your plan’s network. If they get health care services in another state, the providers may be outside your plan’s network and you may have to pay high co-payments or coinsurance for non-emergency services. Your child is also likely eligible to buy coverage in the state where they attend school as long as they can establish residency. If they establish residency in the college state, they would have a greater choice of local in-network providers. (45 C.F.R. § 155.305 (a)(3); CMS, FAQs on the Marketplace Residency Requirement and the Special Enrollment Period due to a Permanent Move, Jan. 19, 2016.)

En español

Individuals with no coverage
Individuals with coverage
Coverage for small employers
Post enrollment issues