We have a family plan and we also have a Health Savings Account (HSA). My son is 22 and just graduated from college. He’s unemployed so we'd like to keep him on our family plan. Can we still use our HSA to help pay for his medical expenses?

Individuals with coverage | Individual and Marketplace Health Coverage |

No. Although the Affordable Care Act allows your children to remain on your health insurance plan until age 26, you are not allowed to use funds from your HSA to pay for children over the age of 19 (24 if they are full-time students) because IRS rules apply with HSAs. Because your son has graduated from college and is over the age of 19, you cannot use your HSA to pay for his expenses. However, if you don’t claim your son as a dependent, it’s possible he could open an HSA of his own, to which you could contribute. (26 U.S.C § 223(d)(2)(A)).

Individuals with no coverage
Individuals with coverage
Coverage for small employers
Post enrollment issues