My 23-year-old daughter lives with us but pays rent and helps buy groceries. Can we include her as a dependent?

Individuals with no coverage | Eligibility for Premium Tax Credits and Cost-Sharing Reductions |

Possibly. To claim her as a dependent, she cannot provide more than half of her own support, which includes rent or the fair rental value of the home, food, utilities, and home repairs. Expenses related to your daughter’s clothes, education, medical, travel and other expenses are included. Support from your child can come from taxable and nontaxable income, such as wages and Social Security. It can also include student loans, but does not include any scholarships she receives. And only funds that contribute to your daughter’s support are included. If she puts all her wages into a savings account, that money would not be included as support paid by the child. (26 C.F.R. §§ 1.36B-1(f), 1.152-1.)

Individuals with no coverage
Individuals with coverage
Coverage for small employers
Post enrollment issues